In the 14th and 15th centuries, The Saracens Head and its adjoining land was known as Marlescroft, having been held by John Marler.  The footpath to Waterside used to run beside the inn and was called Dronken Lane in a document of 1389.

1619

1633

1640

1681 – 1773

1764

1773

The Saracens Head has been an inn since at least 1619, when Sir William Cade, the bailiff, paid 2 shillings per annum for 2 acres of land.

William HAYDON was the innkeeper and was also a butcher.  In 1636 he an George Deacon of Waterside were fined for delivering and selling beer in ‘unsigned measures’.

William HAYDON was appointed supervisor of the King’s highway.  Despite this he deposited a dunghill in the street next his sign and was fined 6d.  Then he was fined a further 40s, because he misbehaved in court, he was fined £5.  When he died in 1645, his goods was valued at £64 12s.

The inn was in the hands of SHEPHERD family.

The theft was reported of 5 moidores from a traveller on the Watford stagecoach and suspicion pointed to the licensee, who may have been Thomas FITKIN.

Richard INGRAM, brewer, married Mary Shepherd, and took over the inn.

The records then show the following publicans

1826

1839

1841

1851 – 1864

1866 – 1868

1870

1871

1878

1881

1886

1891

1893

1895

1897

William CROOK

J. SCOTT. Owner Thomsas Cromack

William WEIR, age 25

John JOHNSON, victualler and butcher.  Until the 1850s a butcher’s shop was attached to the south side of the inn.

Mrs Elizabeth JOHNSON, victualler and butcher.

William ABBOTT

James WOODS, age 28.

James HOUSE.

Daniel DRAKE, age 39

John William STEVENS

Thomas J. WATTS, age 66.

W. WILSON

William BEAKE

A. BULPITT

1901

1902

1904

1906 – 1925

1926

1928 – 1932

1933 – 1936

1937

1940 – 1953

1953 – 1957

1957 – 1961

1961 – 1985

1985 – 1992

1992 – 2013

Thomas LOUTH, age 65.

William Henry MERRELL

William Horatio THOMAS

Albert E. FAIRMANER

George William EAMES

Edwin PHILLIPPS

Mrs Eva PHILLIPS

Albert INKPEN

Arthur S. MORGAN

Mrs Olive L. FRY

Jimmy and Olive VERNON

Bill and Gill MORGAN

Leslie John STAINTON

June and Allen BENTLEY

In July 2013, Robert Watson moved to The Saracens Head having previously kept The Old Palace on Langley Hill.  The focus is to offer the highest quality dining experience whilst preserving the Pub as a social hub to the village of Kings Langley.

Mindful of the need for an online presence, a website was created and launched in 2015.